Friday, April 24, 2015

This is an Excerpt from the  earliest ad that I could find that I posted on Craigslist in April of 2011:

"Have you ever wanted to train your dog to do tricks but didn't have the time?  I have many years experience in teaching dogs how to perform tricks.  I trained my own Border Collie Shepherd Mix named Shep, The Wonder Dog to perform many tricks in several musicals on the East Coast like Kismet and George M and Sugar Babies to name just a few.  Your dog's temperment will be evaluated for compatibility and attention level prior to  starting our first training session together.  Old dogs or young dogs.  They are eager to impress upon us what they want us to know about them.  Their enthusiasm for learning can be aquired if it isn't initially present with a bit of encouragement and the proper use of dog treats.  My dog has been reviewed by theater critics, been paid for his role in a National Realtors Association television commercial that was aired nationwide, his original story of rescue  has been published in several dog journals across the country including The Latham Foundation and  La Joie, he has performed to raise money for the Humane Societies in Sarasota and Venice Florida and he has his own website:  www.shepthemusical.com.

Does your dog already know how to listen?
If they are totally wild and without listening skills, then you would most likely end up paying me to bring your dog into a trainable state of obedience before we might ever begin to start to train them for tricks.
I can be reached at  559-394-5398
Joe"
















NOW FOR TODAY...These pictures with me and my dog Shep, the Wonder Dog, helped me to distinguish myself as a valid dog trainer, both in Florida and here in California.  I trained my dog because I discovered that I could train him, once I had his attention...and that's the trick that I still teach today.  As a novice dog owner, you cannot teach any dog anything unless you have their attention!  I believe it's probably the same with children, but I've never raised any of those...just doggies  :))

Like Children (I'm guessing), they have to pay attention to absorb information, and if they are paying attention to something or someone other than you when you are teaching and talking to them, then I would guess that nothing of substance can get into their memory, like when you are talking to them while they are playing video games etc.  Dogs are the same way in that...if you are trying to teach them about not running into the street, or how to sit, or to stay...and all they seem to be focusing on is trying to get away and go after the squirrel in the tree on the other side of the street, then they might not get the lesson about the danger of cars that you were attempting to show them while they were focusing on that squirrel and not on your lesson!  Right? Here are 3 videos that show what I am talking about:  Meet Leea!
https://youtu.be/kNn1SE4S1Zc  https://youtu.be/NL9rJAbfUkc  https://youtu.be/NL9rJAbfUkc

Be their Leader AND their Trainer, and what I mean by that is...EVERY dog owner should be BOTH with their dog(s)!  Anyone who owns a dog should consider themselves a "Leader" and a "Dog Trainer" when they take on the responsibility of owning an animal.  Some dogs will naturally assume the leader role unless it is challenged by the dog owner.  I say take the leadership away from the dog and show that dog what it has been missing in it's life...the joys of following and listening to their leader.

The Leadership role should be fairly well understood as a goal by most dog owners, but it is easier said than done!  That's the part I mostly end up training the owners specifically about...how to be the "Leader".  The "Dog Trainer" aspect of dog ownership comes when the dog owner begins to discover the need to connect with their dog on the most basic levels of their being, in order to pass on vital and sometimes very useful information the dog should know about...like speeding cars, or who is allowed into the home, and where and when the dog eats, and where and when does the dog sleep, and which piece of furniture is acceptable for the dog to lay on, and which pieces of furniture are not allowed to get on, and where it is acceptable to go to the bathroom, and where it is not acceptable... and when the dog goes on a walk, what is acceptable for how that dog acts and reacts when it comes across others in the neighborhood, whether human or animal while on that walk, and what the dogs responses are to them that are acceptable and unacceptable...are you seeing the picture and pattern here?  You can't pass on any Vital Information or otherwise, that might make your relationship better and your animal safer,  until you have your dog's attention...Period!

Take on the responsibilities of both Leader and Trainer when you have a dog, and your world will be much better for it  :))  Let me help you to "BE WHO YOUR DOG LOOKS UP TO"

www.sheashome.com

No comments:

Post a Comment